St. Andrews Abbey Plaques
Tagged with: ceramicsplaquest andrews

Wonderful, distinctive miniature wall hangings or ornaments from the St. Andrews Abbey in Valyermo, CA. There is an interesting history on these handcrafted ceramics, which have been created by the Benedictine monks and other workers at the abbey since the 1950s. The original abbey was located in Chengtu, China but the monks were expelled by the Communist movement in 1952 – they later resettled the abbey in Valyermo.

The abbey continues to make this style of ceramics, which are easily identified by the large-eyed figures and flattened, rough clay used for the pieces. The individual sections are hand-glazed in different colors and there are metal hooks embedded in the top for hanging on the wall. These particular ones are smaller, perhaps meant to be ornaments. They feature an angel with balloons, a “soccer angel” and little devil with pitchfork. We are uncertain of the date of manufacture, though we think this may be newer – perhaps mid 1980s.

In great condition with no major damage that we can see. The backs have an impressed mark that is typical of the abbey. The soccer angel also has an original tag.

Each measures about 3″ x 4″.

Sorry, this item has sold out


Sorry, this item has sold. If you'd like to be notified when we get another in stock, please contact us.

View More Items in Home Decor